Wednesday, July 3, 2013

"I support your right to choose..."

Or do I?  I believe in a sovereign Creator.  He is a God who created the world ("The earth, together with all of its countries, peoples, and natural features." Google Dictionary)  I believe He has a purpose and a plan for His creation.  (Why else would He have created it?  Who creates something out of nothing, and then walks away?  Wait.  Don't answer that.)  I can be outspoken about sin, but do I have the right to be outspoken about the sinner?  No.  He or she has the right to choose that which he or she is led by his or her own conscience, whether for good or for harm.  And I support that right.

Should I help pass legislation that supports that right?  No.  Doing so has the potential to support the sin.  If I say a woman should be free to choose whether or not she wants to put an end to the life that lives within her own body, and she chooses death, I have made it possible for her to do so.  I oppose abortion, so I vote "no," regardless of how it's worded on a ballot.  If I say a homosexual couple should be free to choose whether or not they want to live according to their "natural" desires, agreeing on a ballot to change the definition of the terms "husband" and "wife," I have sanctioned the acts that go along with that.  I oppose homosexual "marriage", so I vote "no."

Am I a "bad" person because I stand opposed?  No.  I'm exercising my conscience.  Just as others exercise theirs.  We are "bad" people when we do "bad" things.  (I am included in that.)  In that, we all are capable of being "bad" people.  "Bad" is a reference to morality, isn't it?  Who defines morality?  (I suppose that's become more and more subjective.)

I support your right to choose.  I do not support the sin that you (or I) choose to practice.  There are always negative consequences with sin.  My friend Dawn said, "I'm going to support legislation that makes it hard for folks to sin, because I want the blessing of God, (and) not the back-splash of the consequences of others' sin."  That's a great way to look at it, in my opinion.

So, yes.  Your right to choose is the same as mine, I support that.  And, overall, God is our judge.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

An individual's right to choose shouldn't be defined by another individual's religious beliefs.

It's why our country was founded on the FREEDOM of religion. It doesn't mean force your religious beliefs on other people. That's 100% unconstitutional, and is completely against everything our country was founded upon.

People who use their religious views to make decisions for other people (taking away the free will that God gave them) is completely selfish.

If I'm recalling correctly, the Bible doesn't look kindly on the acts of the selfish...

trulyluvd said...

Thank you for commenting, Anonymous. Are you, by your comment, suggesting whether or not I should express my views?