Thursday, September 15, 2011

"The Lord is at hand..."

Something caught my eye this morning.  I have the ESV in a Literary Study Bible.  It's a word-for-word translation, and is laid out as a "reader's Bible."  That means that you can sit down, and just read it like you would any other excellent piece of literature (novel, short story, etc.), without subtitles.


So my devotional, this morning, took me to the book of Philippians.
Chapter 4, verses 4-6, reads like this:

"Rejoice in the Lord always; again I say, Rejoice.  Let your reasonableness be known to everyone.  The Lord is at hand; do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God.  And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus."

Now, the "do not be anxious" part is the beginning of verse 6, and in other translations is capitalized as it begins a new sentence.  That's the way most of us have it memorized.  But the way it's written here, there is a sort of preemptive consideration.  "The Lord is near;"... therefore pray!  Don't be anxious... He's near.  Pray about everything... He's near.  Ask Him to supply your needs... He's near.  Be thankful... He's near!  And, because He is near... His peace can and will guard your heart and mind.  The Lord is near.  What a relief.

This is why Paul can say, a few verses later, "Not that I am speaking of being in need, for I have learned in whatever situation I am to be content.  I know how to be brought low, and I know how to abound.  In any and every circumstance, I have learned the secret of facing plenty and hunger, abundance and need.  I can do all things through Him who strengthens me." (Phil. 4:11-13)  ...the Lord is at hand.

Lord, thank You for Your mercy towards me.  Thank You that You are sovereign in any and every situation.  Thank You for reviving my soul... for bringing peace, overflowing and abundant!  I praise Your great name!  Help me to trust You... to continue trusting You.  You are worthy of praise!

Amen.

No comments: