Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Get still.

Meditation sounds very mystical.  Many of us tend to resist the idea.  But that's the best time, in some cases the only time, to hear from God!

The enemy (and our flesh) keeps us from being still.  The reason?   Because it is CRUCIAL.  Why, then, do we tend to resist the very thing that God has called us to?  HE says, "Be still and know that I am God." (Psalm 46:10)  By stillness, He (literally) means: Relax; become limp; be weak; release.  It means to sink, collapse, fall limp.  Are you willing to do that?  If the answer is no, then you're in direct disobedience to God's Word - and you will FAIL.  He says, " Be still and know that I am God.  I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in all the earth!"  Not you.  Not me.  Taking five minutes, or fifteen minutes, or an hour to get completely still releases us from our exalted state and places us in a position to HEAR from God.  Exalt Him.  Breathe in.  Relax your shoulders as you breathe out.  Relax your mind, your body, your very being.  And wait.  Wait.  In this deliberately relaxed state, turn to whatever question you have for the Lord... or that He has for you... and consider it.  Converse with Him about it... Relaxed.  Being still.  Sit in silence.  You may not hear anything.  He may desire to develop in you a habit... In fact, I know He does!  Believers in Christ are directed to BE STILL... and know... our God.

The times that I have heard from the Lord have been in the evening, when I'm sitting quietly with a notebook and pen in hand.  Maybe I've just read some Scripture, or through notes of a journal... my heart is quiet, my body is relaxed, my mind is focused on God.  I'm hoping to hear from Him, and a thought comes to mind.  It helps to write it down.  And to think some more.  I'm resting in the knowledge that God's presence is real and true.  That He has promised to be with me.  That His Spirit dwells inside of me.  Other times, I hear from Him as I'm waking up in the morning.  If I'd been wrestling with thoughts the day before, or the night before, and I wake from restful sleep, and the first thoughts I have are responses to those thoughts.  They are sensible and full of a peaceful resolve.  That is when I know I've heard from the Lord.  He's restored my soul, and I can trust where He's leading me.  Again, I respond by writing it down, or going to my computer and typing it out.   The toughest is the being still in the middle of a busy day.  That's when it's harder to reign in my thoughts, and to still my body.  But, it can happen then, too.

How will you respond?  Decide whether or not you're willing to comply with the Lord.  Joshua challenged the Israelites, "And if it is evil in your eyes to serve the Lord, choose this day whom you will serve, whether the gods of (your descendents), or the gods of the (culture)...  But as for me and my house, we will serve the Lord." (Joshua 24:15)  What are you going to do?  He's waiting to meet with you.  And the sooner you're willing to submit to Him, the better.

No comments: