Sunday, November 11, 2012

Wild Fruit

The LORD had a vineyard...

  • He dug up the ground, breaking and sifting it to prepare it for planting.
  • He removed stones, some large and some small, so there wouldn't be any obstructions, and that the roots would have room to grow.
  • He carefully selected vines to plant - vines in which He saw value. This pleased Him.

And the vineyard was established.

As the plants were taking root, the LORD built a watchtower.  From there He could see any and all threats to His field.  He took care to stop vandals and poachers.  He was a Faithful Guardian.

In anticipation of the harvest, He carefully cut out a place where the grapes would be pressed into wine.  A sweet wine, pleasing to the taste, effective in its purpose.  The fruit of the vine.

Did I mention that all this took place on a fertile hillside?  The place the LORD had selected was made up of excellent soil - rich in nutrients, well watered by the rain and streams.  It was beautiful and lush!

He waited, and watched, for the first fruits.  But, sadly, the fruit was bad, having gone wild.  Tangled vines, giving off an unpleasant aroma.  These grapes were no good to Him.  Who would drink of this stench?

He asks, "What more could I have done for my vineyard than I have done for it?  Why, when I looked for good grapes, did it yield only bad?"  (Isaiah 5:4)

The LORD prepared, protected and planned for His vineyard's purpose to be fulfilled.  What went wrong?





Lord, help me to recognize Your will for my life.  I want to cooperate with You.  Remind me when I am in danger of rejecting You.  Help me to yield.  I want to hear Your voice. I praise You!


No comments: