Sunday, August 25, 2013

I Like to Run Alone

I like to run alone.

  • I can go at my own pace.
  • There's no one to which I am accountable.
  • I'm not holding anyone up.
  • I don't feel the pressure of letting anyone down.
  • If I want to go faster, I don't have to worry about whether someone else is keeping up.
  • I am hindered only by own physical limitations - and no one else suffers the consequences.
  • I am not embarrassed when my ability pales in comparison to someone else's.
  • I can set my own course.
In some ways this is good.  In others, not so much. 


All of these thoughts ran through my head this morning, as I hit the mid-point of today's work-out. It was then that I thought of a friend of mine.  She and I share the same sentiment.  She once told me she likes to do ministry "alone" - not so much as a team player.  Although I know that she makes a great team player, I understood the idea of solo service.  It's how I prefer to operate, as well.  I won't presume to know all of her reasons.  I do know some of mine.
  • I can go at my own pace.
  • There's no one to which I am accountable. (aside from the Lord)
  • I'm not holding anyone up.
  • I don't feel the pressure of letting anyone down.
  • If I want to move faster, I do.
  • I'm hindered only by my own spiritual limitations.
  • I'm not intimidated by someone else's spiritual "greatness."
  • OH... and I can set my own rules. (course, whatever...)
The truth is, though, running with a partner is great.  The same is true in doing life, ministry, etc. There is company and encouragement.  There is a feeling of camaraderie - of starting and finishing together.  Shared experiences - particularly in struggles and triumphs - knit hearts together like few other opportunities in life. "If one falls, the other is there to pick him up." (Oh, wait... that's biblical. Ecc. 4:10)

It's good to work independently. There really are lots of benefits to training alone - when training is taken seriously. But, I need to remember that I am part of a team, and to not avoid those opportunities to work together. We were made for comm-unity.  Unity takes (more than one) who find harmony and become a whole. Unity brings glory to God like few other experiences in life.

P.s. Opening oneself to the scrutiny of others is difficult. It can be painful. Ultimately, it is God to whom I must give account. He also binds my wounds and equips me for battle.  I will forever love and trust Him.  I will play by His rules.

No comments: