Sunday, September 1, 2013

An Everlasting Rock

Aaron and I went hiking yesterday. It was such a beautiful day. Blue skies, warm air - bright, brilliant sunshine! It was lovely!! The plan was to head out to Alpental at Snoqualmie and do the Source Lake hike. We'd never been there before and Aaron had heard from his boss that it was a great hike. I imagined hiking in the heights of the Snoqualmie mountain area. We were excited to get started.

As we arrived at Alpental, we weren't sure of the exact route to get to the trail head. Aaron took a turn that led us down a narrow road toward Denny Creek. As we wound our way down, the paved road took us over a bank of rock that kind of creeped me out. I imagined huge rocks cascading down the mountain in an avalanche, breaking and crushing everything in its path. There was no way a person could survive that type of disaster. The first question in my mind was: "Is it possible for that to happen now?" And then: "I don't want to be here if it does."


We continued along the road, and eventually came to where people were parking. There were a lot of people. The combination of Labor Day weekend and sunshine guarantees large crowds in the beautiful outdoors of the Pacific Northwest. The families getting out of their cars ranged from young children to elderly folks, and the setting for the hike felt more like a canyon than a mountaintop. We decided this wasn't where we wanted to be, so we turned around and headed back out.

We found the area that took us to the Snow Lake/Source Lake mountain hike. This was exactly where we needed to be!  I love the feeling of starting out on a hike. Dressed and shoe-d (shod?) according to the climate and terrain, water in hand (and phone for pics), we were ready for a great day. We hit the bathroom and then the trail head, and it was good!

The path took us across more of the fallen rock I had seen further down in the canyon. For some reason, my mind continued to marvel (with reverential fear) at the size and scope of the rock. Large, grey stone. And lots of it. Some broken into small pieces, but much of it very large. Solid, for sure. I thought of the different outcomes of getting caught in an avalanche like that. If it didn't kill upon contact, it would easily break bones. I envisioned my leg being snapped like a twig. The falling rocks could easily crush a person's body to the point of excruciating torment, until finally succumbing to death. (These are pleasant thoughts, huh?)  I reasoned that the rocks were pretty set - at an angle that was certainly not risky. Still, I wondered if the Lord would allow something like that to happen on a day like today (yesterday, actually). If it did happen, would I survive because I was a "child of God", or would I be arbitrarily snuffed out - of no consequence at all. I decided to keep moving. It's safer that way. ;)

There were a few of these patches along the way, and each time, my mind wandered, ever so slightly. 

Coming back down the mountain, Aaron and I discovered that we had missed the turn in the path that would take us to Source Lake.  We had made it to the top of the mountain, curving up and over to see the beautiful - magnificent, really - Snow Lake.  It is an amazing, sparkling-blue pool that is too large to see in full from where we were. Just below the shoreline, into the water, is a beautiful aqua reef. It was just so pretty. But our goal had been to hike to Source Lake. As we discovered the turn-out, we decided to add on and accomplish the hike we had intended.

More of that fallen rock took us to a large rocky waterfall that fed into Source Lake. Source Lake, I have to say was a bit of a disappointment. A tiny little thing, it was not at all what I imagined a "source" should look like. The waterfall, on the other hand, although not spectacular, was pretty cool. I had on my new "water-ready" hiking shoes, so I wasn't shy about trekking through the stream to get some close-up pictures of the water falling over and through the rocks. It was here that Aaron and I set ourselves down on the giant boulders to rest in the sun. Again, a rock-strewn setting. Some of the large rocks were in precarious positions, others were undoubtedly secure.  It was tempting to set a medium/large stone tumbling down into the ravine below.  All I could think of, though, was triggering a mammoth avalanche.  I left the stone where it sat.

This morning, as I focused on my Bible study in the book of Isaiah, I was reminded of the settings of our hike. I'm amazed at the Lord's timing, and the way His Spirit has drawn me to this place in my heart and mind, yet again! Would I have thought so much about those rocks, if His Spirit wasn't stirring inside of me a preparation for what His Word would point out today? I wonder. You know, His mercies are new every morning.

The focus of my study (meditation) this morning was Isaiah, chapter 26. One of my favorite biblical lessons resides in this passage. It is in verse three that says, "You will keep in perfect peace whose mind is stayed on You, because he trusts in You." Amazing truth. And verse four goes on to say, "Trust in the LORD forever, for the LORD GOD (God Almighty) is an everlasting rock."  The following is an excerpt from the study I'm doing. It is the place where I would "just happen" to pick up this morning...

     "More and more we're seeing the devastating effects of so-called "natural disasters" on earth.  And as you have seen, the worse is yet to come... what about the disasters that cause death and destruction?" (Kay Arthur, Precept Upon Precept - Isaiah)

I looked up the following references: Isaiah 26:9; Isaiah 45:6-7; Amos 3:6; Jeremiah 14:1, 22; Psalm 148:8.

     (Arthur continued,) "O faithful one, do you see the confidence and peace that is yours when you know these truths for yourself?  Doesn't your heart grieve for those who profess to know God but don't really know who He is or understand His ways because they don't have time for His Word? Pray, Beloved, pray, and tell others the benefits - the peace, the steadfastness, the rock-like mind there is for those who trust in Him (26:3-4)."

Isn't God good?  My mind went back to those rocks.  The ones that could not be moved are nothing compared to the God who is "an everlasting rock" (Isaiah 26:4). Yet, at His command, every one of them can (and will) be moved to accomplish His purpose.  I thought of a picture from yesterday, with thousands of broken stones as a backdrop. And, somehow, I thought of the woman caught in the act of adultery, and how the cruel people of her town were ready to crush her to death with stones.  And I thought of Jesus, the chief cornerstone.  And how my faith is secure... and precarious, all at the same time.



"I love You, O LORD, my strength.  The LORD is my rock and my fortress and my deliverer, my shield and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold." ~Psalm 18:2

No comments: