Saturday, April 5, 2014

A Minister of the Gospel

According to the Word...

I am a minister of the Gospel.
I am called to operate in truth and love and grace.
With compassion and humility.
With justice.
And with mercy.

I don't always do it perfectly.
But that's my goal.
And the desire of my heart.

This I know is true.

"Not many of you should be teachers, my brothers, for you know that we who teach will be judged with greater strictness.  For we all stumble in many ways.  And if anyone does not stumble in what he says, he is a perfect man, able to bridle his whole body." (James 3:1-2)

I can be self-righteous.
And cynical.

Also true.

"If we put bits into the mouths of horses so that they obey us, we guide their whole bodies as well.  Look at the ships also: though they are so large and are driven by strong winds, they are guided by a very small rudder wherever the will of the pilot directs.  So also the tongue is a small member, yet it boasts of great things." (3:4-5a)

Lord, forgive me.

"How great a forest is set ablaze by such a small fire! And the tongue is a fire, a world of unrighteousness.  The tongue is set among our members, staining the whole body, setting on fire the entire course of life, and set on fire by hell."  (5b-6)

When you stomp out of my office
and back into a classroom,
in a tirade,
commanding your will,
you do that at your own peril, as well as mine.

When you ask to be released,
declaring injustice,
in a room full of students,
you are wreaking havoc on my reputation...
and your own.

"For every kind of beast and bird, of reptile and sea creature, can be tamed and has been tamed by mankind, but no human being can tame the tongue.  It is a restless evil, full of deadly poison.  With it we bless our Lord and Father, and with it we curse people who are made in the likeness of God.  From the same mouth come blessing and cursing.  My brothers, these things ought not to be so."  (7-10)

And there is cataclysmic contradiction.

"Does a spring pour forth from the same opening both fresh and salt water?  Can a fig tree, my brothers, bear olives, or a grapevine produce figs?  Neither can a salt pond yield fresh water." (11-12)

How can we make it right?

"Who is wise and understanding among you?  By his good conduct let him show his works in the meekness of wisdom.  But if you have bitter jealousy and selfish ambition in your hearts, do not boast and be false to the truth.  This is not the wisdom that comes down from above, but is earthly and unspiritual, demonic.  For where jealousy and selfish ambition exist, there will be disorder and every vile practice." (13-16)

There is something going on inside you that demands to be heard.
That [in the moment] refuses instruction.
That resists authority.

Be careful.

"But the wisdom from above is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, open to reason, full of mercy and good fruits, impartial and sincere." (17)

I can't relinquish my role.
I am a minister of the Gospel,
and I'm asking for your help.

"And a harvest of righteousness is sown in peace by those who make peace." (18)

What can I do to help you?

* * *

James, chapter 4 goes on to say, "What causes quarrels and what causes fights among you?  Is it not this, that your passions are at war within you?" (v. 1)  I think that is too often the case.  I'm not a perfect person, though I'm growing in maturity all the time.  I take backward steps or things creep in that have never been properly dealt with.  I'm called to account by those who love me and by the Lord.  What about you?  Are there ways that you might begin to make things easier for yourself and the people around you?

"Submit yourselves therefore to God.  Resist the devil, and he will flee from you.  Draw near to God, and He will draw near to you..." (James 4:7-8a)


No comments: