Thursday, December 1, 2011

The Janitor

There I was... alone in an empty gymnasium.  "It seemed like a good idea at the time.  It was a great party.  I had a lot of fun."  But when it was all over, it was just me.  I was sitting in a chair beside an empty table.  My posture was sort of slumped as I reluctantly surveyed my surroundings.  Dressed in a ball gown, my hair and make-up looked like it usually does at the end of the day. There was confetti scattered across the floor... streamers and balloons, too.  As I looked up, Someone else had entered.  He was dressed as a Janitor.  Looking down as He swept, He sort of shook His head.  Instead of disgust, I saw pity and compassion and sorrow, all at once.

This was a vision I had at 26.  I'd been a Believer for three years, and Jesus had come to tell me, "It's time to grow up.  Stop living so impulsively."  In that moment, I didn't want to have Him come in and clean up after me anymore.  I wanted to learn to stop and think... to pray and to submit.  To really put into practice all that He'd poured into me in my first few years of faith.  It continues to be a struggle.

Can you relate?

This much is true:  The more I trust Him, the less He has to clean up.


No comments: