Friday, November 23, 2007

Hebrews 5:9

"During the days of Jesus' life on earth, He offered up prayers and petitions with loud cries and tears to the One who could save Him from death, and He was heard because of His reverent submission. Although He was a son, He learned obedience from what He suffered and, once made perfect, He became the source of eternal salvation for all who obey Him and was designated by God to be high priest in the order of Melchizedek." ~Hebrews 5:7-10 (NIV)


"During the days of Jesus' life on earth..." Start to finish, what was He in the habit of doing? "He offered up prayers and petitions." And not in a passive, "oh-I-guess-I-better-pray" sort of way. He did so "with loud cries and tears." That's pretty passionate. To whom did He pray? "To the One who could save Him from death." Why are we not able to keep (and balance) that perspective on a regular (daily) basis? Death is our payment for a life lived on earth... unless, that is, we've placed our trust in the One who can save us. (Have I truly done that? Read on...)
"He was heard because of His reverent submission." He submitted, daily, to the will of His Father... Our Father - God. (John 1:12) "Although He was a son, He learned obedience from what He suffered." Our Father is able to keep us from suffering. Being God's son did not keep bad things from happening to Jesus - and neither will it be so for us. Why? Because we are being made perfect (perfect, in the Bible, is another word for maturity) through our obedience when it's not so easy to obey. And get this... "(Jesus) became the source of eternal salvation for all who obey Him..."
How will I know if I'm saved? If I believe in Him, I will obey Him. And as one who reverently submits to Him, I'm awarded eternal salvation. "Without faith it is impossible to please Him." And living faith obeys the One in whom we trust. Lord, help me to continue to see with Your eyes, as You mark out the path prepared for me. May I remember Your Word, and live according to the precepts therein. In Jesus' name. Amen.

No comments: