Sunday, May 8, 2011

Riley Roon...

Hey, little guy... Did you know that you brought joy and sunshine to this family?  We had thought we found the perfect pet when Lucy came along.  We lost her, and were heartbroken.  And then came you... 
Taylor had celebrated her 4th birthday while we were on vacation in Montana (4 on the 4th!).  We came home, and then came the challenge... If I could find a Yorkie for less than $500, then we could get a new dog.  (Rosin didn't think it was possible.)  You were not the pick of the litter, apparently.  Too big and not the right color for a show dog.  That made you perfect for us!  With all the kids running around, we didn't want a dog that would get trampled underfoot.  Oh, the irony!  You helped me with the dishes, and kept me constant company throughout the day while I did my chores.  You always met the kids at the door when they came home from school.  The perfect little buddy.

Then the fateful day!  Before changing the sheets, I flipped the mattress on our king-sized bed.  As I finished up, I heard you scurrying around under the bed.  "Get out from under there, Riley."   Then went on to finish my chores.  That was just before noon.  Three o'clock rolled around, and the kids got home from school.  He wasn't there to meet them at the door.  "Here, Riley!  Where are you, buddy?"  The kids were concerned... and so was I.  Had he snuck out when I wasn't looking?  Did he wander off?  Was he stolen?!  Canvassing the neighborhood.  Putting up flyers.  Calling friends to say prayers that Riley would be found... returned to us.  Heartbroken.

Company from out of town came later that night.  Jay, Lori and the kids.  Would've loved to welcome them with joy, but we were really sad.  Couldn't find Riley.  No clue, no word. *sigh*  Got everybody down for bed, then replayed the day's events.  Aaron had already gone to bed, and that's when it hit me!  "Quick!  We've got to take the bed apart!"  In his near-sleep state, Aaron pulled off the coverings.  "No.  Not just the sheets!  The BED!"  The mattress was so heavy... And as we lifted the top one off the box springs, out came our mangled, weakened little Riley.  Oh, he was sad to see...  Hair matted and disheveled.  Slowly stepping out from the hollow space his body had created in the veiled framing.  And, yes... leaving a yellow stain behind.  Eleven hours between the box spring and the mattress!  Probably waking from his near-coma, from time to time, to scratch his way out!  Poor guy!

Apparently, he had jumped up onto the box spring as I had lifted the mattress earlier in the day to flip it.  A huge king-size mattress, too heavy for me to handle easily.  I couldn't see behind it, and had no idea.  He tried to tell me right away, but I thought he was only under the bed.  Thankfully, the prayers of Kathy Howell, Matt Bittner and my mom kept him alive!  Oh, the horror stories we heard for weeks afterward!

We moved into a new house, and my mom had made window coverings for our family room.  (So talented, she is!)  I was helping her install them, and we had pulled the couches out from against the walls.  Riley liked to sit atop the seat back cushions, perched in the best spot to observe everything.  Well, I had helped lift something into place, and plopped down onto the love-seat, and promptly heard a "thump, thump, thump!"  Riley had, literally, rolled off down the back side of the couch!  Mom said, "Run, Riley!  Run, for your life!  She's gonna' kill you!"

Fifteen years... he was a faithful friend.  He wouldn't eat or come near me the night we pulled him out of the bed.  But all was forgiven the next day.  Little sweetie.  I loved that little guy...  Really, I did. 

No comments: