Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Breana's Story

Breana Lyn...July 28, 1986 - May 5, 2002

I was on my way to clean a house. I was in low spirits because I had received news the day before that my friend's daughter had a cancerous lump in the muscle behind her breast, near the collar bone. Breana was fourteen at the time, and we were all shaken by this news.

As I pulled out of my neighborhood, I was reflecting on the purpose of my errand. The home that I was to clean was that of another friend who had been battling breast cancer for some time. Several women worked in weekly shifts to clean her home, and my friend, Jayme, was the 'captain' for this team of ladies. Jayme wouldn't be there that day. Her daughter was Breana. It seemed so ironic and very discouraging to me.


Driving down the road, I saw a little boy walking to school. He looked familiar. Isn't it funny how the Lord would use this little boy to draw me out of my reverie? He was a boy from my Sunday School class, named Carlos. If I had pulled over right then, Carlos would have said, "Look, Miss Tami! I have my Bible right here in my backpack! Will you show me where that verse is that you told me last week?" I didn't stop. I smiled and thanked the Lord for this little bit of sunshine. This gentle reminder that He is still in control.


As I continued on my way, I realized that I needed a car wash. I only had $5 with me. I thought, "Do I get a car wash, or do I save my money for lunch?" I opted for a detour and chose the drive-thru car wash. I handed the attendant my five-dollar bill along with my club card.  She handed back my five...I was due for a free wash!  Hmmm...the Lord's at it again!


I pulled around to begin the wash. Before entering, another attendant scrubbed the tires and went around to the antenna. I remember thinking, "It doesn't come off." But what I had forgotten was that I had one of those silly Jack-in-the-Box antenna balls on the end. He removed it and brought it around to my window. He smiled as he said, "He won't make it." I accepted his offering with a wry smile, and closed the window. In that moment, my mind flashed to Breana. Instantly, I thought in fear, "She won't make it?!" As I set the Styrofoam ball in the drink cup and slid it shut, the car began to roll forward. I was immediately reassured that Breana would be safe inside while the pressures of her condition would whirl around her. Just like the brushes and foam whipping around my car in an effort to clean it, Breana would undergo rigorous treatment in an effort to free her body of toxin. I couldn't control my sobs, as tears streamed down my face.  As I heard the noise outside my vehicle, I imagined this fourteen-year-old child being held safely in her Father's hands while unimaginable forces beat against her. It was amazing to think that the Lord could love her that much!! That He Himself would be her buffer from the storm.


As the months progressed, Breana's treatment continued. There were triumphs and setbacks. Several lumps were detected and treated. Surgery, chemotherapy, radiation...Breana lost her hair, and wore the most wonderful wigs! After a time, her hair began to grow back. She was overjoyed! The following summer, we allowed ourselves to hope that the worst was nearly over. I remember rejoicing over the fact that there was only a walnut-sized tumor remaining, and just a little bit more treatment would make it all go away. That was not going to be the case, though. More tumors were discovered, causing damage in Breana's chest, eyes and other organs. Three months before her 16th birthday, Breana would continue to fight this battle with cancer.


At some point, I had lost that little antenna ball. I realized that I had gone through one of those car washes, again, without removing it. I thought of Breana, and her most recent maladies. Would she be lost? Would she make it? Her faith was strong. She witnessed to the kids in her Youth Group. Hosted a worship gathering in her backyard. Treated her oncologists and staff to dinner. She challenged her family, encouraged her parents, and helped to strengthen her younger sisters. There is so much more that can be told of her life and how she lived it.  She had been and will continue to be an incredible blessing and inspiration to the youth and many families of our church.


It was a Sunday morning, and I had been away for a church women's retreat. As I took my bags out to the car before breakfast, I noticed one of those antenna balls. I commented to my girlfriend on the sad condition of the ornament. I said, "Look. It looks like the little sign at the Jack-in-the-Box window that says, 'Too tired. Can't go on. Send in replacement.'" You know, the one where they're trying to get you to buy a new one? As we passed by, we saw that the smile had been stripped off, though you could see the place where it belonged, and one of the eyes was missing. It was a pitiful little guy. It made me sad. When I went in for breakfast, a thoughtful friend came up and gently touched my back. "Did you know that Breana Wilson died this morning?" No. I didn't know.


She was too tired. She couldn't go on. It was time for her to step into the arms of her Savior...where she would know His presence for eternity.

Breana's life was full of the grace and love of Jesus Christ. She now sits before the very throne of grace, her reward for all the suffering.


To Breana~
you were the beauty and the fragrance of Christ.
you have been His light and His life.


Breana's Prayer:

When the lump was discovered, we prayed with Jayme that it would not be something serious.  It was.  When we got that news, my prayer, as I drove down the street, was a cry to the Lord, "God, I don't want to go to this little girl's funeral!"  For 16 months, many prayers were spoken, cried, and imagined.  We prayed through each and every step of the process.  There were SO MANY victories.  Amazing prayers were answered with a resounding 'yes!' from heaven.  Others were a reluctant, 'no' or 'not yet'.  Throughout the process we were sure that the Lord would allow Breana to live.  There were many scary moments, though, when that faith was shaken.   In the final months, our consistent prayer was for a miracle.  Breana was in so much pain that we were not only urged to pray for healing, but for mercy in the pain.  There were times when I felt like each prayer betrayed the other.  If I prayed for a miracle - complete earthly healing, I would neglect the prayer to ease Breana's suffering.  If i prayed that the Lord would ease her suffering, I felt as if I was doubting the possibility of the miracle we all hoped for.  During the entire journey, the Lord was preparing each and every one of us... Breana, her family, her friends... for His plan and His will.  The overriding prayer had always been that Breana's cancer would draw each of us, and others, closer to the Lord.  That prayer, the most important one, has been realized and the Lord was so faithful to honor it.  Thank you, Father.


Come to Me, all who are weary and heavy-laden, and I will give you rest.  Take My yoke upon you, and learn form Me, for I am gentle and humble in heart; and YOU SHALL FIND REST FOR YOUR SOULS. 




  Final moments...

Two months before Breana’s 16th birthday, her body had already begun to give in to death.  She knew it would happen, she just didn’t know how.  On Friday, May 3rd, she told her Grandpa that she was ready, but that she just didn’t “get” how to do it.  (How to let go and die.)  That night, Breana’s sleep was very restless – to say the least.  Her parents would take turns sleeping with her, so that they could administer pain meds.  The next night, after having fallen asleep, she woke up and sat straight up in bed, eyes wide open and speaking with clarity (unusual because of the painkillers), she said, “I get it!  I get it!”  She kept repeating it, and her parents asked, “What do you get?”  

Breana said, “He’s watching me!” 
“Who’s watching you?  Who do you see, Breana?” 
“Jesus,” she said, “He’s watching me!” 
In the very early hours of Sunday morning, through tears, Breana’s dad told her to take His hand.  He knew that, in those moments, he was releasing her to her Bridegroom.  Jesus was the One who had clothed her in righteousness, and welcomed her into eternity.

No comments: