Thursday, June 2, 2011

A Tender Gesture

He would approach with head bowed, eyes down... Humility.  This is the proper way to show honor and respect to a king...a master...a lord.  Jacob sought to find favor with his brother after years of distance, guilt and fear.  He knew Esau had cause to hate him...to retaliate, even after all these years.
Not knowing what to expect, he prepared gifts... an abundance of gifts!...and sent them ahead.  He thought, "Perhaps he will lift my face."  (Gen. 33:20)  What a beautiful and tender picture. Coming before one who is your enemy... a brother, even... in such humility.  And to have him reach down, touch your chin, and lift your face.

Jacob would experience something similar, yet altogether different, as he wrestled with God that very night... "And he called the place Peniel... For I have seen God face to face, and yet my life has been delivered." (Gen. 33:30)  In this case, a wrestling match.  Jacob, determined... and wounded.  The battle ends with Jacob looking up to see the face of God. A blessing given, yet not without price.

"But you, O LORD, are a shield about me, my glory, and the lifter of my head.  I cried aloud to the LORD, and he answered me from his holy hill."  (Psalm 3:3-4)

Lord God, I love these tender pictures...  One of humility, and one of deep spiritual warfare...  Looking up to find Your forgiveness... and looking out to see Your grace.  You are the lifter of my head!  My God and King, my Master, my Lord... I love You.

No comments: