Tuesday, June 7, 2011

When Fear Gets in the Way - Part 1

I'm sharing a letter that was written in the midst of conflict.  Sometimes, as the dust is flying, it's hard to see what is true.  I think fear gets in the way, and we become more concerned with protecting ourselves than seeing or doing what's right.  What a great reminder that God can and does speak in the midst of a battle.  We just need to quiet ourselves long enough to pay attention.  I pray that this will minister to someone today...



Careless words...

"Either make the tree good and its fruit good, or make the tree bad and its fruit bad; for the tree is known by its fruit.  You brood of vipers, how can you, being evil, speak what is good?  For the mouth speaks out of that which fills the heart.  The good man brings out of his good treasure what is good; and the evil man brings out of his evil treasure what is evil.  But I tell you that every careless word that people speak, they shall give an accounting for it in the day of judgment.  For by your words you will be justified, and by your words you will be condemned."  ~Matthew 12:33-37

I believe all of this is working in us a greater purpose - for God's glory.

Wisdom from above...

"Who among you is wise and understanding?  Let him show by his good behavior his deeds in gentleness of wisdom.  But if you have bitter jealousy and selfish ambition in your heart, do not be arrogant and so lie against the truth.  This wisdom is not that which comes down from above, but is earthly, natural, demonic.  For where jealousy and selfish ambition exist, there is disorder and every evil thing.  But the wisdom from above is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, reasonable, full of mercy and good fruits, unwavering, without hypocrisy."  ~James 3:13-18

Fear of man...

"Fear of man will prove to be a snare, but whoever trusts in the LORD is kept safe."  ~Proverbs 29:25

Trust in the Lord...

"Blessed is (she) who trusts in the LORD..."  ~Jeremiah 17:7ff


There is something in the way of my heart.  I'm not sure what it is, but I'm going to seek God's face for the next few days.  At this point, for the sake of unity, I'm going to pull away for a time.  Careless words have been spoken.  For my part, I am truly sorry.  In my flesh, I don't believe I have been treated fairly... and certainly not like a trusted friend.  In truth, I may not be treating you fairly... and certainly not like a trusted friend.   There is disunity between us.  I don't understand it, so I'm going to appeal to the Lord.

I truly believe that you and I might benefit by bringing someone in as a sort of mediator... an advocate to help each of us see and hear what the other is saying.  To me, this recent conflict is simple.  From what I heard from you, it's more complicated.  I acted impulsively, without clear communication.  I was wrong.  And I'm sorry.  My response (taking it upon myself to fix things, rather than try to understand what you were asking of me) was prideful and rebellious.  That is wrong.  I am sorry.  I pray that you can forgive me... deeply and truly.  Will you?

You are precious. I don't want to hurt you anymore than I have.  I'm trusting the Lord to work this out, and am willing to do whatever He says.

By His grace...

No comments: